Weekly Bulletin: Friday 10th January 2020
Happy New Year! It is a pleasure to welcome everyone back to school after the Christmas break. Children have returned showing great enthusiasm and readiness for learning, which is an excellent start to the new year.
At the start of the new year, we’re pleased to welcome some new members of staff to the Tunbury team.
Our new Deputy Headteacher is Mr Taylor, who will be working alongside our existing Deputy Headteacher Mrs Smith. Having two Deputy Headteachers is common for a school of our size, and Mr Taylor and Mrs Smith have already started to form a strong partnership in this role. Mr Taylor has enjoyed spending time with children in assembly and around school this week, so hopefully your children will be able to tell you what they have found out about him so far! He will often be found on the playground at the start and end of the school day, so please feel free to stop and say hello.
Another new role for Tunbury is the appointment of Mrs Stewart as our new HLTA (Higher Level Teaching Assistant). Mrs Stewart will be providing short-term planned cover for classes, for example while teachers attend meetings or training. This week, she has covered all 21 classes in just 3 days – a whistle-stop tour of Tunbury and a good introduction to all of our children. I’m pleased to share Mrs Stewart’s observations that Tunbury children are extremely polite and well-behaved.
Finally, our new Pink class teacher is Mrs Hawkes, who was appointed to this role following Miss Blundell’s departure to Australia. Also, Mrs Morris has begun teaching Sapphire class following the start of Miss Jones’ maternity leave. Both Mrs Hawkes and Mrs Morris are experienced teachers, which has helped them to settle into their new roles quickly and establish clear expectations for their new classes.
We look forward to a successful 2020 with all of our staff, children and parents.
Have a lovely weekend everyone.
- Charity updates
Christmas Jumper day: £467 was raised and for the Poppy Appeal in November an amazing £731.99 was raised. Thank you for your continued support.
- Extra – Curricular Clubs After school clubs will be starting next week on Tuesday 14th January and finish on Thursday 26th March 2020 . Please see the website for further information https://www.tunbury.kent.sch.uk/After-School-Clubs. Clubs can be booked via School Interviews online booking system www.schoolinterviews.co.uk. Please note Gymnastics has now been opened to include Year 5 and 6 children. There are spaces on Coding Club (Year 5), Football Club (Year 5/6), Sewing Club (Year 5/6), Gymnastics and Street Dance (Key Stage 2).
- Next week we will have a busy week of visitors! Zoolab will be visiting Year 1 on Tuesday and Year 4 will have a Norman day on Friday. On Friday the visitor from Medieval Days will launch Year 4s new topic on ‘Invading England’. Children will participate in a variety of activities, to learn about life in Norman times. For Year 1 and Year 4 parents who haven’t already done so, please pay for these events via School Money: https://login.eduspot.co.uk/public/portal/school/?app=teachers2parents. Thank you to parents that have already paid for these visits. Without your support, school would not be able to provide such fun and exciting learning experiences.
- Year 2’s topic this term is: Can a girl be a pirate? This topic will involve the children exploring and investigating healthy diets and food. This will involve the children making healthy vegetable kebabs and eating them. Year 2 are asking for parental permission so that the children can make the kebabs and eat them at the end of the lesson. Therefore, if you have any objections to your child taking part or your child has any allergies to any vegetables could you please let your child’s class teacher know by Monday 13th January 2020.
- Swimming lessons This term’s swimming lessons for Year 4 start next week on Tuesday 14th January with Lilac class. Swimming lessons for Year 5 will also start again next week on Friday 17th January (please note the change of day).
- Starting at Primary School
If you have not yet applied for a primary school place for September 2020, please apply now! Applications must be submitted before 15th January 2020 (next Wednesday). For parents who live in the Kent local authority parents can apply online at www.kent.gov.uk/primaryadmissions
For parents who live in the Medway local authority parents can apply online at http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/school-admissions/starting-primary-school/apply-for-a-place
Dates for your Diary
Tuesday 14th January – Zoolab visiting Year 1
Tuesday 14th January – Swimming starts for Lilac class
Tuesday 14th January - Extra – Curricular Clubs start NEW
Thursday 16th January – Forest School Year R pm NEW
Friday 17th January - Norman Day visit Year 4
Friday 17th January – Swimming lessons start again for Year 5
Friday 24th January – Year R Chinese New Year Day NEW
Thursday 30th January - Forest School Year R pm NEW
Thursday 6th February - Forest School Year R pm NEW
Friday 7th February – TSA Family disco
Monday 3rd February – iRock music assembly
Tuesday 11th February – Safer Internet Day
Wednesday 12th February – Parents’ Open Afternoon – 2 pm
Thursday 13th February – Zoolab visiting Year R
Friday 14th February – TSA Non-Uniform Day
Friday 14th February – Last day of Term 3
Monday 17th February – Friday 21st February – February Break
Monday 24th February – INSET DAY – School Closed for pupils
Tuesday 25th February – Start of Term 4 for pupils
Thursday 5th March – World Book Day –
Thursday 5th March – Parents’ Evening 3.40 pm – 6.30 pm
Tuesday 10th March - Parents’ Evening 3.40 pm – 6.30 pm
Wednesday 11th March – Year 5 visit to the Royal Observatory
Thursday 12th March – Year 1 visit to Kent Life
Monday 16th March – Travelling Books sale
Thursday 19th March – Parent Forum – 5 pm
Thursday 26th March – Last day for Extra – Curricular Clubs NEW
Tuesday 31st March – TSA Easter Hunt
Wednesday 1st April – Last Day of Term 4
Thursday 2nd April – Wednesday 15th April – Spring/Easter Break
Thursday 16th April – Start of Term 5
Tuesday 21st April – Swimming starts for Rubyclass
Wednesday 29th April – Friday 1st May – Year 4 Residential visit to Swattenden
Friday 8th May – Bank Holiday – School Closed
Monday 11th May – SATs Week – Year 6
Monday 18th May – SATs Week – Year 2
Friday 22nd May – Last day of Term 5
Monday 25th May – Friday 29th May – May Break Week
Monday 1st June – INSET DAY – School Closed for Pupils
Tuesday 2nd June – Start of Term 6 for pupils
Monday 8th June – Phonics check week – Year 1
Monday 15th June – Friday 19th June - Bikeability Cycle Training Year 6
Monday 15th June – Multiplication Tables check week – Year 4
Friday 26th June - Year 4 visit to Horton Kirby
Monday 6th July – Sports Day – KS2 am, KS1 pm (Reserve Day, Monday 13th July)
Wednesday 8th July – Parent Forum – 2 pm
Friday 10th July – TSA Dare to be Different/Family Picnic
Wednesday 15th July – Year 6 performances 2 pm and 6 pm
Thursday 16th July – Annual Reports home to parents
Monday 20th July – Parents’ Open Afternoon 2 pm
Monday 20th July – Parents’ drop-in with class teachers regarding reports 3.15 -4.15 pm
Wednesday 22nd July – Year 6 Leavers’ Assembly – 2 pm
Wednesday 22nd July – Last day of Term 6 / Academic Year
Class assemblies take place on a Friday at the end of the school day. Please wait outside the hall entrance doors. You will be invited in at approximately 2.50 pm, once the children are seated, and the assembly will begin at 2.55 pm. It will last about 10 minutes.
Friday 17th January – Violet
Friday 24th January – Turquoise
Friday 31st January – Lilac
Friday 7th February – Amber
Friday 14th February – Lavender
Friday 6th March – Emerald
Friday 13th March – Magenta
Friday 20th March – Ruby
Friday 27th March – Azure
Friday 15th May – Blue
Friday 22nd May – Red
Friday 12th June – Pink
Friday 19th June – Yellow
Friday 26th June – Bears
Friday 3rd July - Owls
Friday 10th July – Hedgehogs