Weekly Bulletin: Friday 11th October 2019
This week, I have seen some fantastic learning in action throughout our Reception and Key Stage 1 classes, as Mrs Smith and I completed our lesson visits. Yesterday in Reception we saw our youngest children completely engaged with their Super Me! topic and the story of Supertato. My favourite moment was some very enthusiastic outdoor pea-squashing - take that, Evil Pea! This enthusiasm for learning continued into Year 1 and Year 2, where children were totally engrossed in their learning, from a fairytale whodunnit in Year 1 to some wonderful story writing based on the Ugly Five book in Year 2. Teachers are making skilful use of good quality stories in their planning and teaching, already resulting in some high quality work from our children.
We are very keen to share all of our children's learning with you, so please come to our open afternoon next week, if you can. We're preparing to welcome parents into school on Thursday 17th October from 2.00-3.00. All classrooms will be open to visitors, so that you can pop in and talk to your children about their learning and have a look at some of the work which they are most proud of. Every class will be different, but children's books will be available along with artwork and topic work. We're all looking forward to seeing you! On the day, children will be dismissed by their class teachers as normal at 3.15, so we'll be asking parents to move to the playgrounds at 3.00 in order to make this process safe and logistically possible.
With the end of Term 1 in sight, we have also been looking back to see how far we've already come since September. It's been a pleasure to be part of the Tunbury team and along with the governing body and school staff, I feel that we're just at the start of a new phase of development for the school. I hope that parents share this optimism - we're working hard to develop a better home/school partnership and listen to your views more closely. To help us with this, we could also make use of the Ofsted Parent View website at parentview.ofsted.gov.uk. So far this year, we have only had 2 responses at Parent View, but we would welcome more!
Finally, let's finish with some happy news from Mrs Dean, who left for her maternity leave last Friday and has already welcomed her brand new baby girl into the world, born yesterday morning. Mother and baby are doing well - congratulations!
Have a lovely weekend everyone.
- Year 6 PE session - please note that next week Year 6 PE sessions will be held on Monday 14th October. This is because of the INSET day on Friday 18th October. Please make sure that children's PE kits are in school on this day, particularly if children are returning to school for the first day back after their residential trip.
- Please send in donations of Harvest gifts from Monday onwards. Your harvest gifts will be donated to ‘One big family, helping the homeless,’ for distribution to the community in Kent and Medway.
- Photographs orders – the final day for orders to be returned to the school office is Wednesday, next week (16th October).
- Reminder: we now welcome parent helpersinto school. If you would like to volunteer your time to help us in school on a regular basis, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, availability, preferred age range to support and details of any previous volunteering in school. For those parents who helped us last year and have already had training and a DBS check, you would be able to start straight away. For new parent helpers, training will be provided with a view to starting in Term 2. Many thanks for your support.
- The Immunisation team will be in school after the holiday week, on the first day of Term 2, to administer the nasal flu vaccinations to all year groups. Please see the attached Consent form from the NHS, which must be completed and returned to the immunisation team before Monday 21st October 2019.
- Starting at Primary School
Do you have a child born between 1st September 2015—31st August 2016? If your child will be 4 years old by 31st August 2020, the time to apply for a primary school is NOW. For parents who live in the Kent local authority parents can apply online at www.kent.gov.uk/primaryadmissions
For parents who live in the Medway local authority parents can apply online at http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/school-admissions/starting-primary-school/apply-for-a-place. Applications must be submitted before 15th January 2020.
Parents’ evening for all year groups will be held on the following dates and times:
Thursday 7th November and Tuesday 12th November 2019 3.40—6.20 pm
You will be able to book your appointment via School Interviews online booking system. Bookings will open from Thursday 17th October at 5pm.
Please see the information below to book an appointment:
Go to www.schoolinterviews.co.uk and follow these simple instructions.
- Click on make a booking
- Enter the event code – to be advised - for this event only
- Enter your details - name, email address, child’s name etc
- Choose the relevant teacher/s for your child/ren
You can change your appointment bookings at any time prior to the parents’ evening, by re-visiting the www.schoolinterviews.co.uk website from the SAME COMPUTER you made the original booking on, and using the event code. Remember to use the same computer, name and email address, you used when you made your original booking.
When you click finish, your appointment timetable will be emailed to you automatically - check your junk mail folder if you do not receive your email immediately.
You can return to www.schoolinterviews.co.uk at any time from the same computer to change your appointments until bookings close.
Appointments are strictly 10 mins and spaces are limited. If you require more time, please contact the school office to make an alternative appointment.
Dates for your Diary
Monday 14th October – Year 4 visit to Kent Life
Wednesday 16th October – Harvest Celebration Assemblies - Please send in your harvest donations from Monday 14th.
Thursday 17th October - Open afternoon (all classes) – 2 pm
Friday 18th October – INSET DAY – School Closed for pupils
Monday 21st October to Friday 25th October - Autumn Break
Monday 28th October – start of Term 2
Monday 28th October – Steam Week starts
Monday 28th October – Flu Vaccinations Years R - 6
Thursday 31st October – New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 9.15 am
Thursday 7th / Tuesday 12th November- Parents Evenings 3.40 – 6.20 pm
Monday 11th November – Tuesday 19th November – Bikeability Cycle Training, Year 6
Tuesday 12th November - New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 9.15 am
Wednesday 20th November - New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 5 pm
Monday 2nd December - New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 2 pm
Monday 9th December – Reception classes Christmas performance – 2.30 pm
Tuesday 10th December – Y1 Christmas performance – 2.30 pm
Wednesday 11th December – Y2 Christmas performance – 2 pm
Friday 13th December – Christmas Jumper Day
Friday 13th December – Carols on the playground – 3 pm
Wednesday 18th December – last day of Term 2
Thursday 19th December to Friday 3rd January - Christmas Break
Monday 6th January 2020 - INSET DAY – School Closed for pupils
Tuesday 7th January – Start of Term 3 for pupils
Class assemblies take place on a Friday at the end of the school day. Please wait outside the hall entrance doors. You will be invited in at approximately 2.50 pm, once the children are seated, and the assembly will begin at 2.55 pm. It will last about 10 minutes.
Friday 1st November – Crimson
Friday 8th November – Indigo
Friday 15th November – Scarlet
Friday 22nd November – Sapphire
Friday 29th November – Orange
Friday 17th January – Violet
Friday 24th January – Turquoise
Friday 31st January – Lilac
Friday 7th February – Amber
Friday 14th February – Lavender
Friday 6th March – Emerald
Friday 13th March – Magenta
Friday 20th March – Ruby
Friday 27th March – Azure
Friday 15th May – Blue
Friday 22nd May – Red
Friday 12th June – Pink
Friday 19th June – Yellow
Friday 26th June – Bears
Friday 3rd July - Owls
Friday 10th July – Hedgehogs