Weekly Bulletin: Friday 15th November 2019
Thank you for your support for Children in Need today. Children and staff have enjoyed the non-uniform day (including plenty of spots, yellow and Pudsey items) and raising money for this worthwhile charity. I had the pleasure of starting my morning with our Year 6 and Year R children in the hall, participating in the Big Morning Move with a live stream of a special Joe Wicks workout. We all joined in together and while staff were a little puffed out, children were full of energy! It was also great to see our oldest and youngest children working together - now that they are all paired up as ‘buddies’, this will be happening more often through the year.
This week was also Anti-bullying week, so we have been thinking about what bullying is, how we can prevent it and how we respond when it happens. To see some of our work from this week, please have a look at the ‘our learning’ section.
Making our school a safe place for our children is our first priority, so of course our focus on anti-bullying will continue through the year. Later on this term we have anti-bullying theatre shows and workshops, which will reinforce our Tunbury theme of strengthening communication between children and staff in school. We’ll also take part in a national ‘safe at school anti-bullying survey’. Towards the end of term, we’ll be training some of our Year 6 children in the role of peer mediators – this is a new initiative for Tunbury and we’ll provide more information on this at the time.
Overall, the most important message for our children is a simple one: if they are worried about bullying, they must tell a trusted adult in school straight away so that we can sort it!
Have a lovely weekend everyone.
Our learning - Year 2
This week has been focussed on anti-bullying and in Year 2 we have had lots of opportunities for discussion, role play, art and writing. We started our learning with Friendship Friday, we discussed what makes a good friend, how we can be a kind friend to others and we participated in a whole school task of drawing and writing about friendship on a coloured piece of card to make a giant Elmer for a whole school display. Year 2 wore odd socks for Odd Socks Day to show that everyone is different and that it is wonderful! We learned a song about friendship and everyone being unique which we enjoyed singing with actions.
We have talked about and know what bullying is, what we can do if we see an incident and how we can treat others to ensure they are happy. ‘Change starts with us’ is our new motto!
Our learning – Reception
In Owls Class, we made a list of all the adults we could think of that we could talk to if someone was being unkind. We came up with a very long list including all the teachers and teaching assistants in Reception, the midday supervisors, staff in the first aid area as well as some other teachers in school and our families. We also made some friendship bracelets as an act of kindness.
Our learning – Year 6
Year 6 wrote letters from the point of view of a child being affected by bullying. In some fantastic pieces of writing, children were able to understand the range of emotions involved, as shown in the following example.
• TSA wreath making evening on 4th December – tickets are now available to buy online for this event at www.pta-events.co.uk/tunbury . A limited number of tickets are available so please book before these sell out.
• Parent Forum meeting, Monday 2nd December at 9 am in the school hall. The theme for this meeting is how the school provides parents with information about children's progress. Please let us know via email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend the meeting, or have any comments or agenda items in advance. Thank you.
• Free School Meals and Pupil Premium
Thank you to parents that have applied for Free School Meals. We have received a number of new applications. Please still apply if you think you may be eligible. Further information about the pupil premium is available on our school website.
To register for Free School Meals, please apply via the KCC website at: www.cloudforedu.org.uk/ofsm/kent/
• Orange class assembly on Friday 29th November will go ahead as planned on this date. In Mrs Poxon's absence, Miss Costen will work with the class in preparing for this class assembly. We look forward to seeing you there.
• The SEN team are in need of Lego and Duplo to run Lego and Duplo therapy sessions. If you have any you do not want please bring it into the school office.
• SEN parent meetings
SEN parent meetings with our SENCo, Miss Byrne, are available every week (except for one week this term) and at all whole school parents’ evenings. Meetings can be booked via the school office. The dates and times for the rest of this term are as follows:
Wednesday 20th November 2019: 2 - 4pm
Monday 2nd December 2019: 2 - 4pm
Wednesday 11th December: 2 - 4pm
• Year 1 (Red, Blue, Yellow classes) - For our current topic; Traditional tales, the children are invited to be our guests at the Tunbury Fairy-tale Ball on Thursday 28th November 2019. During our grand ball we will have a banquet where children are asked to bring a small snack for them to dine on and part take in games and dances. Children are encouraged to dress in fairy tale / party wear for the day. This will support our English learning in class, with us making ball invites, decorations and we will write about our experiences after our grand event.
Mrs Fitzgerald, Miss O’Brien and Mrs Bourner.
• Year R have started Forest Schools this term, in the afternoons starting at 1 pm on the following dates:
Thursday 28th November
The aim is to go to forest school whatever the weather etc. However if there are extreme weather conditions we may have to cancel it for that week. Please ensure children's forest school kits are in school before these dates. If you would like to volunteer for forest school please write in your child's blue book with the dates you are available.
• Starting at Primary School
Do you have a child born between 1st September 2015—31st August 2016? If your child will be 4 years old by 31st August 2020, the time to apply for a primary school is NOW.
For parents who live in the Kent local authority parents can apply online at www.kent.gov.uk/primaryadmissions
For parents who live in the Medway local authority parents can apply online at http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/school-admissions/starting-primary-school/apply-for-a-place
Applications must be submitted before 15th January 2020.
Dates for your Diary
Wednesday 20th November - New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 5 pm
Thursday 28th November – Year 1 Fairy-tale Ball day
Thursday 28th November – Forest Schools Year R
Saturday 30th November TSA Christmas Fair 1 pm – 4 pm
Monday 2nd December – Parents Forum, Main School Hall – 9 am
Monday 2nd December - New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 2 pm
Monday 9th December – Reception classes Christmas performance – 2.30 pm
Tuesday 10th December – Y1 Christmas performance – 2.30 pm
Wednesday 11th December – Y2 Christmas performance – 2 pm
Friday 13th December – Christmas Jumper Day
Friday 13th December – Carols on the playground – 3 pm
Monday 16th December – Home Front Bus visit – Year 6
Wednesday 18th December – last day of Term 2
Thursday 19th December to Friday 3rd January - Christmas Break
Monday 6th January 2020 - INSET DAY – School Closed for pupils
Tuesday 7th January – Start of Term 3 for pupils
Class assemblies take place on a Friday at the end of the school day. Please wait outside the hall entrance doors. You will be invited in at approximately 2.50 pm, once the
children are seated, and the assembly will begin at 2.55 pm. It will last about 10 minutes.
Friday 15th November – Scarlet
Friday 22nd November – Sapphire
Friday 29th November – Orange
Friday 17th January – Violet
Friday 24th January – Turquoise
Friday 31st January – Lilac
Friday 7th February – Amber
Friday 14th February – Lavender
Friday 6th March – Emerald
Friday 13th March – Magenta
Friday 20th March – Ruby
Friday 27th March – Azure
Friday 15th May – Blue
Friday 22nd May – Red
Friday 12th June – Pink
Friday 19th June – Yellow
Friday 26th June – Bears
Friday 3rd July - Owls
Friday 10th July – Hedgehogs