Weekly Bulletin: Friday 18th October 2019
Thank you so much to everyone who was able to join us for yesterday's open afternoon. It was lovely to open our doors and welcome you into school - I know that children were certainly very proud and keen to show you their classrooms and their learning. It was lovely to have our classrooms full of visitors, with a positive atmosphere throughout the school. I hope that events like this will help to connect you to your children's experiences in school, so that when they talk to you about their school day, you can understand what they mean!
The key theme of Term 1 for me has been to develop an understanding of our current position and identify the next steps for Tunbury. As a school, we have many strengths and I'm already proud of our children and our staff team, who are enthusiastic and so dedicated. In terms of our areas for development, our governing body has now agreed our strategic direction for this year and our key priorities are attached for your information. You will see that some of the themes from our parent surveys are here, as well as others that you might recognise through your experiences as a Tunbury parent. The focus of our staff INSET day today is for teachers and teaching assistants to begin to work on some of these key areas together.
As it's the end of term, today's bulletin includes an update on this term's learning from all of our year groups – have a look and see what your children have been up to so far this year!
I hope that everyone has a lovely, relaxing half term break. We look forward to seeing children back in school on Monday 28th October, fresh for the start of Term 2 and our next steps on this year's learning adventures.
Some of our learning this term
- Thank you for your harvest gift donations. The harvest gifts have been donated to ‘One big family, helping the homeless,’ for distribution to the community in Kent and Medway.
- As previously advised the Immunisation team will be in school after the holiday week, on the first day of Term 2, to administer the nasal flu vaccinations to all year groups. The NHS online portal closes 7 days prior to the vaccination session and the NHS will not be accepting late forms or forms on the day. The closing date for parents to complete the online consent form for our school is Monday 21st October 2019.
- Year R will be starting forest school next term, in the afternoons starting at 1 pm on the following dates: Thursday 31st October Thursday 14th November Thursday 28th November The aim is to go to forest school whatever the weather etc. However if there are extreme weather conditions we may have to cancel it for that week. Please ensure children's forest school kits are in school before these dates. If you would like to volunteer for forest school please write in your child's blue book with the dates you are available.
- In Year R we are hoping expand our resources for our indoor and outdoor learning environments. We are asking parents throughout the school if they have and are willing to donate any of the following items:
- Real pots, pans, cutlery, plates, bowls, cups, mugs as well as any other kitchen tools and utensils.
- Real tools such as – tape measures, spanners, screw drivers, screws, nuts, bolts, electric drills (minus the drill bits)
- 3 wheeled bikes or scooters (no 2 wheeled bikes as we have these already)
- Vegetable, fruit or flower seeds/bulbs for planting
- Soil or sand
- Small toy figurines such as – African animals, farm animals, woodland animals, jungle animals, pets, mythical, exotic animals, dinosaurs, underwater animals, arctic animals, fairies, knights, princesses, pirates, farmers, everyday people
- Small worlds: castles, farms, pirate ships, boats, garages, happyland sets
- Small world props: dolls house furniture tables, chairs, beds etc.
- Old newspapers and magazines
- Old notebooks
- Post it notes
- Writing pens
- Fabrics – large sheets, duvet covers, pillow cases, old clothes, hats etc.
If you are able to donate anything from our list or have something else you feel that may enrich the children’s learning please see a member of the Year R team. Thank you in advance for your support.
- Year 6 - please bring in materials for junk modelling from home, for STEAM week.
- Thank you to all the children who expressed an interest in becoming an Eco Warrior! The children who have been chosen this year are: Theo and Demi (Year 1) Eleanor and Kieran (Year 2) Sofia and Fraser (Year 3) Imogen and Charlie (Year 4) Lucas and Florence (Year 5) George and Lauren (Year 6) Miss Harman and Miss Gooch-Draper are looking forward to meeting with the Eco Warriors to come up with some great ideas to help make Tunbury even more eco-friendly. If you or your child have any ideas, please do let us know! We would love to hear views from everybody.
- Starting at Primary School
Do you have a child born between 1st September 2015—31st August 2016? If your child will be 4 years old by 31st August 2020, the time to apply for a primary school is NOW. For parents who live in the Kent local authority parents can apply online at www.kent.gov.uk/primaryadmissions
For parents who live in the Medway local authority parents can apply online at http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/school-admissions/starting-primary-school/apply-for-a-place
Applications must be submitted before 15th January 2020.
Dates for your Diary
Friday 18th October – INSET DAY – School Closed for pupils
Monday 21st October to Friday 25th October - Autumn Break
Monday 28th October – start of Term 2
Monday 28th October – STEAM Week starts
Monday 28th October – Flu Vaccinations Years R - 6
Thursday 31st October – New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 9.15 am
Thursday 31st October – Forest Schools Year R NEW
Sunday 3rd November – TSA Fireworks Spectacular – gates open at 4.15 pm NEW
Thursday 7th / Tuesday 12th November- Parents Evenings 3.40 – 6.20 pm
Monday 11th November – Tuesday 19th November – Bikeability Cycle Training, Year 6
Tuesday 12th November - New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 9.15 am
Thursday 14th November – Forest Schools Year R NEW
Wednesday 20th November - New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 5 pm
Thursday 28th November – Forest Schools Year R NEW
Saturday 30th November TSA Christmas Fair 1 pm – 4 pm NEW
Monday 2nd December - New entrants meeting for prospective parents – 2 pm
Monday 9th December – Reception classes Christmas performance – 2.30 pm
Tuesday 10th December – Y1 Christmas performance – 2.30 pm
Wednesday 11th December – Y2 Christmas performance – 2 pm
Friday 13th December – Christmas Jumper Day
Friday 13th December – Carols on the playground – 3 pm
Wednesday 18th December – last day of Term 2
Thursday 19th December to Friday 3rd January - Christmas Break
Monday 6th January 2020 - INSET DAY – School Closed for pupils
Tuesday 7th January – Start of Term 3 for pupils
Class assemblies take place on a Friday at the end of the school day. Please wait outside the hall entrance doors. You will be invited in at approximately 2.50 pm, once the children are seated, and the assembly will begin at 2.55 pm. It will last about 10 minutes.
Friday 1st November – Crimson
Friday 8th November – Indigo
Friday 15th November – Scarlet
Friday 22nd November – Sapphire
Friday 29th November – Orange
Friday 17th January – Violet
Friday 24th January – Turquoise
Friday 31st January – Lilac
Friday 7th February – Amber
Friday 14th February – Lavender
Friday 6th March – Emerald
Friday 13th March – Magenta
Friday 20th March – Ruby
Friday 27th March – Azure
Friday 15th May – Blue
Friday 22nd May – Red
Friday 12th June – Pink
Friday 19th June – Yellow
Friday 26th June – Bears
Friday 3rd July - Owls
Friday 10th July – Hedgehogs