Every winter brings the possibility of snow and ice.
Extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption.
Schools are often affected and it can be difficult to maintain an education service.
As a fundamental principle, every effort must be made to keep schools open, even if only limited numbers of pupils can attend. However, schools may close due to ‘unavoidable’ circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite.
We recognise that it is important our school remains open so that parents/carers are able to work and pupils can continue to learn. Tunbury Primary School will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice by gritting pathways and clearing access points.
How will we let you me know if the school is closed?
If we do experience severe snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, we may have to take the decision to close the school.
Once this decision has been made, we will notify parents/carers via email and the KentClosureswebsite.
To determine whether Tunbury Primary School is open or closed please visit www.kentclosures.co.uk. Search for the school in the search box. The Kent Closures website can also be used to find out if other services in Kent are open or closed, such as nurseries, children’s centres and libraries. We also recommend that parents/carers sign up for SMS/Email alerts on the Kent Closures website. This service will send an SMS or email alert to let parents/carers know if Tunbury Primary School is closed. Parents/Carers can also listen to KMFM, BBC Radio Kent or Heart FM to hear if the school has closed.
What can you do to help?
- Please visit kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
- Please approach the school from the main school entrance.
- Please provide a packed lunch from home in case school meals cannot be provided.
- Don’t forget suitable warm clothing – gloves, hats, scarves, wellies etc. or even a change of clothing.
- If you are a working parent/carer or feel you may have a problem with a sudden earlier pick up, please could you put a back‐up plan in place with another family member or parent and inform the school. This will allow staff to leave earlier for their safety if weather dictates.
Many thanks for your support in helping Tunbury Primary School remain open during periods of severe snow/ice.